Crookston wrestling holds end-of-season banquet
The Crookston wrestling team wasn't able to hold its end-of-season banquet at its normal time due to COVID-19, but it finally got to make it up this past weekend.
On Sunday night, the Pirates celebrated their 2019-20 season outside the Snow Sled Inn in Gentilly in a socially distanced affair. Awards were given out and all-conference and all-state honorees were recognized.
While Crookston's team season ended with a Section 8A quarterfinal loss to Fosston-Bagley, the Pirates had a banner year on the individual side, sending five wrestlers to the state championships — their most since 2011.
- Wrestlers of the Year: Ethan Boll and Zach Brown
- Most Dominant Wrestler: Zach Brown (averaged 3.11 points per match)
- Most Improved: Hunter Knutson
- Most Pins: Cameron Weiland (28, which tied a school record)
- Rookie of the Year: Carter Coauette
- Rod Hanson Most Dedicated: Ethan Bowman
- New members of the 50-win club: Ethan Bowman (66), Braxton Volker (53)
- 75-win club: Ethan Boll (85), Nolan Dans (85)
- 100-win club: Cameron Weiland (102)
- 125-win club: Zach Brown (137, 10th all-time for Crookston)
CONFERENCE AND STATE AWARDS
- All-North Star Conference: Ethan Boll, Ethan Bowman, Zach Brown, Carter Coauette, Hunter Knutson, Braxton Volker (1st-3rd at section championship)
- All-North Star Conference Honorable Mention: Nolan Dans, Cameron Weiland (4th-6th at section championship)
- All-State: Ethan Boll and Zach Brown (6th and 5th at state, respectively)
The Times welcomes your feedback. You can send any comments or questions to our office at (218) 281-2730, Jacob Shames (405) 496-0168 or by email at email@example.com.
Follow along on Twitter @crookstonsports and @Jacob_Shames for all the latest stories and live game updates.