Ask a Trooper: Purchasing tabs in advance

Sgt. Jesse Grabow - Minnesota State Patrol
Sgt. Jesse Grabow - Minnesota State Patrol

Question: I was wondering if I bought my tabs for 2023 now as I am a snowbird and will be out of state when they are due, can I display them now before I leave?

Answer: A person can purchase tabs (registration) for passenger class vehicles as soon as the Driver and Vehicle Service offices have them available. Once you purchase the registration you will need to get those put on and displayed on the license plate.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205. (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at, jesse.grabow@state.mn.us).

Jesse Grabow