Pirate Girls Tennis one-upped Roseau 4-3 and took the lead 5-2 over Park Rapids at home Saturday during their triangular. Pirate singles players walked away with wins against Roseau and doubles teams lost to the Rams.
"Tennis line-up decisions are definitely like a chess match over checkers. A lot of different factors can go into how you are setting up your line-up for each particular match-up," Head Coach Cody Brekken explained, when asked about the Pirates sweeping singles but then getting swept in doubles. "We were up 3-2 with #3 doubles and #4 singles out there still playing and we needed one of those two. Emma Osborn pulled it off at #4 singles and it felt good to seal that win."
Crookston singles players defeated Park Rapids and the Winjum sisters, 8th-grader Halle and Sophomore Hayden, won their doubles match while the other doubles teams fell to the Panthers.
Singles vs. Roseau
• Junior Catherine Tiedemann defeated Roseau junior Julia Braaten 6-2, 6-2
• Hayden Winjum defeated Roseau junior Ella Trangsrud 6-0, 6-1
• Halle Winjum defeated Roseau junior Masynn Janicke 6-0, 6-0
• Sophomore Emma Osborn defeated Roseau senior Emma Zimmerman 6-2, 6-1
Singles vs. Park Rapids
• Tiedemann defeated PR junior Cassidy Bera 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
• Junior Emma Borowicz defeated PR sophomore Emily Schulz 6-3, 6-4
• Osborn defeated PR sophomore Natalie Harvey 6-0, 6-0
• 8th-grader Emma Gunderson defeated PR junior Hannah Morgan 6-2, 6-2
Doubles vs. Roseau
• Sophomore Hannah Lindemoen and Freshman Halle Bruggeman lost to Roseau juniors Kiersten Flay and Lindsay McFarlane 1-6, 2-6
• Gunderson and senior Audrey Harbott lost to Roseau seniors Charlene Grahn and Olivia Urness 2-6, 4-6
• 8th-grader Brekken Tull and freshman Abby Borowicz lost to Roseau junior Haylee Bennett and sophomore Maddy Verbout 6-7, 7-5, 8-10
Brekken said the new pairing at third singles was competitive, and made necessary because he was missing two from the varsity lineup.
Doubles vs. Park Rapids
• Winjum and Winjum defeated PR sophomore Abby Morris and freshman Mickey Clark 6-4, 6-3
• Lindemoen and senior Eden Haller lost to PR senior Jada Renneberg and sophomore Rachael Herman 6-6, 6-7
• Bruggeman and Harbott lost to PR freshmen Macy Goochey and Morgan Koppelman 1-6, 1-6
The Pirates play Tuesday in Grand Forks at Choice Fitness against Bemidji.
It was a beautiful Saturday for tennis, Brekken said, adding that the girls "played inspired" in part because it was Senior Day and Parents' Day. It also wrapped up the Pirates' home season, meaning it's the last time the seniors will play on their home court.
As the season nears the home stretch, Brekken said the girls are piecing together longer points and getting better at putting the ball in tough spots for their opponents to get to.
"This is making a big difference in close matches and it's showing for us. I don't get too stressed out watching the long matches as I try to be the collected one that just tries to get the girls to play their best tennis no matter the current score out on the court," he explained. "All I want to see is their best tennis. After that, we hope that puts us in a position to come away with wins."