This past several weeks has reminded me of a quote from Robert Frost, “The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.”
As we go through this rapidly changing and unknown times of dealing with COVID-19, we must learn to be patient as policies and procedures evolve to deal with the pandemic. Just as the quote indicates, advice given or procedures implemented earlier may have changed. It is incumbent upon us all to remain informed so that we are adhering to what we should do individually and as a community to slow the growth of the virus within our region.
As you may have heard, the University of Minnesota as a system decided to move on-campus coursework online through April 1. We are well-prepared for this move. Every one of our on-campus students has a laptop, so we do not need to worry about students who do not have computer access. We have been delivering high-quality online instruction for more than 20 years, and our faculty has significant experience teaching online. Further, our professional staff has experience providing virtual advising, tutoring, and related services for students. We will continue to monitor the needs of our students, faculty, staff, and the community as we make decisions for the weeks following April 1.
For those of you who are not within the circle of communique at the University of Minnesota Crookston, here is additional information regarding what we have currently implemented (although I am qualifying everything written below with this phrase, “At this time.”)
·The Early Childhood Development Center (ECDC) will close effective Tuesday, March 17 at 5:30 p.m., EXCEPT for children of emergency workers critical to the State’s response to COVID-19.
· The Wellness Center will have regular hours on Monday and Tuesday. It will close at 8:00 p.m., Tuesday, March 17 through April 1.
· All events scheduled on-campus are cancelled through March 27.
· The Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference board of directors have approved to suspend all activities related to intercollegiate athletics and cancel the remaining 2020 NSIC Conference Competitions and Championships.
· The Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association (IHSA) executive committee announced their decision to cancel the remainder of the 2019/2020 competition season.
· Students are encouraged to not return to campus during the remote instruction period unless absolutely necessary.
· We have food service as well as health, counseling, and other services available for students who are currently on campus.
· UMN Crookston has a comprehensive emergency response plan. In the event that an individual tests positive for COVID-19, that individual would be referred for medical care at the appropriate healthcare facility. UMN Crookston would then take precautionary steps to isolate exposed individuals in a manner that ensures their appropriate care and the protection of the rest of the campus community.
· All animals are being cared for by student workers and our dedicated staff.
· Last week our custodial crew moved from using general purpose cleaner to disinfectant for all common touch surfaces and all have disinfectants available to use after every touch point.
Please check out our website (www.c.umn.edu/coronavirus/) where more detail is given to other questions people may have.