It started with SUV with Michigan plates was seen failing to stop at downtown stop sign

    A Climax woman and a Crookston man are charged with possessing methamphetamine near a park zone and could face up to 20 years in prison if convicted. Dwan Toyia Thompson, 33, of Climax and Roy Dino Hamilton, 63, of Crookston were caught with meth, a scale, glass pipe, neck tie with three metal locks, and baggies that contained suspected meth and marijuana.

    According to the court complaint, on December 4, at approximately 12:34 a.m., a Crookston police officer saw a black Ford Explorer bearing Michigan license plates turning from 3rd Street onto North Broadway in Crookston without stopping at the stop sign. The Explorer then continued north on Broadway, turned onto West Sixth Street, turned north on North Front Street, and pulled over to the side of the road. The officer activated the emergency lights on his patrol car and stopped to talk to the driver, who identified himself as Roy Dino Hamilton. Hamilton stated that his driver’s license was expired and he did not have it with him. The officer noted that there was a male in the front passenger seat and a female in the rear seat, and neither of them had any identification with them.

    The officer recognized the front passenger as William Fitzpatrick, who owned the Explorer. The female attempted to get out of the Explorer, but the officer told her to remain seated.

    While talking to Hamilton, the officer could smell the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from inside the Explorer but all occupants denied that they had been drinking. Hamilton was unable to provide vehicle registration and proof of insurance and eventually admitted that he had consumed a “couple” of beers.

    The officer conducted a pat-down search of Hamiltonian front of his patrol car and found a pipe that Hamilton admitted to smoking meth from. Also found on Hamilton were small bags that appeared to contain suspected meth and marijuana, a larger bag with suspected marijuana, a glass pipe with burnt marijuana residue in it, and a neck tie with three heavy metal locks. Hamilton stated that he carried the neck tie and metal locks instead of a gun, and that he would be “going away for awhile.” The officer then placed Hamilton under arrest and placed him in the rear seat of his patrol car.

    Officers then searched the Explorer and discovered a small weight scale with residue on it in a box, small baggie in the same box, and a glass pipe with residue on it inside of a purple glove (commonly worn by females), said the complaint.

    A Polk County Sheriff’s Office deputy spoke to the female who identified herself as Angel Young. After consenting, the deputy searched the female and found small designer plastic baggies and two cellular telephones in the purse, as well as identification for Dwan Toyia Thompson. The deputy then identified the female as Thompson and knew that she had four warrants outstanding for her arrest. Thompson was then arrested, and she and Hamilton were transported to the Northwest Regional Corrections Center.

    While at the NWRCC, after being advised of her rights, Thompson stated that she provided her sister’s name because she thought there were warrants for her arrest. She also stated if she provided a urine sample that it would be “dirty”, she used meth over the weekend and earlier that day in Grand Forks, and she knew nothing about the drugs and paraphernalia found in the Explorer or the purse she had been carrying.

    Thompson’s urine sample tested positive for the presence of meth and amphetamine.

    The CPD officer asked Hamilton to perform several field sobriety tests at the NWRCC and later concluded that Hamilton was under the influence of a controlled substance since a preliminary breath test indicated an alcohol concentration of 0.01. During the tests, Hamilton admitted that he used “quite a bit” of meth, along with marijuana and alcohol, at approximately 11:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. that night.

    A CPD Sergeant later determined the Explorer drove within 300 feet of the Town Square Park as it traveled through downtown Crookston.