The election is Nov. 6.
First, could you provide a bit of background information, i.e. your age, family, career and educational background, etc.?
I am 52 years old and I am married to Sandy McBride and have two stepsons Michael and Matthew. Both boys attended CHS and Michael recently completed 4 years in the Air Force. I own McBride’s Automotive and have been in the automotive field for what seems like forever! I have coached football for over 20 years and also bred Chocolate Labrador Retrievers. I grew up in Northern California and moved to Minnesota in 1998. I moved away to Wisconsin for three years after being recruited, but returned to northern MN because I really love the area. I went to Butte and Yuba Colleges for Automotive Technology and Mechanized Agriculture.
Please list the three main reasons behind your decision to run for a seat on the school board.
1) We need real change. Crookston school district is doing the same things over and over, yet are expecting a different result. For some reason, change seems to be a very scary thing. 2) I care about the schools and the community that I live in. 3) I think I can do a good job.
What do you think are Crookston Public Schools’ three main assets?
1) Highland school, 2) Hard working employees that want the best for the kids. 3) A community that desires a great school district that they can be proud to call their own.
On the flip side, what do you see as being Crookston Public Schools’ three biggest challenges or shortcomings?
1) Marketing – The Crookston school district doesn’t market itself well, and since perception is reality, we need to change that perception by doing an outstanding job. 2) Customer Service – This sounds odd for a school but I think we need to do a better job of taking care of people. Due to open enrollment, districts that provide excellent customer service are attracting kids & parents. 3) Accountability – We should expect it for our kids, but also for our administration. The administration should lead by example. Progress should be measured to see if we are meeting our goals or falling short, and that information should be made public.
All three incumbents up for election this year, Tim Dufault, Patty Dillabough and Patty Dillabough, are seeking another term. How do you think they’re doing? Are you running more because of reasons specific to you and wanting to get involved, or do you see a real need for change on the school board?
I don’t care for the direction that the school board has gone, and that’s why I decided to run. I see a real need for change. I think we need some new ideas & some new strategies.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how big of a problem do you think bullying is in Crookston’s public schools? Please explain.
10. Bullying is the #1 topic of concern that people have expressed to me.
What are your early impressions of Crookston School District Superintendent Jeremy Olson?
I do not have an early impression of Crookston School District Superintendent Jeremy Olson because I have not met him, nor have I seen the changes that he wants to implement.
Could you list some favorite hobbies or other things you like to do in your spare time?
In my free time, I enjoy hunting, fishing & shooting.
People like to toss the word “hero” around a lot, but could you list three people that you really admire, or look up to, and explain a little why you’ve picked these three?
1) John Wayne – He had no hidden agendas & what you saw was what you got. He always tried to do the right thing. 2) General Patton – He was extremely focused on getting the job done, and being the best at what he did. 3) Vince Lombardi –He was always striving for greatness and he loved hard work. The main reason that I like these three men is because they were all straight shooters. They were tough & resilient, yet they could also be very compassionate.