A live, downed power line adjacent to a residence in Winger on Friday apparently triggered a power surge that started a couch on fire inside the house. The homeowner was able to extinguish the fire, and there were no injuries.

    The Polk County Sheriff’s Office got the call minutes after 9 a.m. The power surge ignited a heated blanket, which started the couch on fire. Daniel Richard Kindall, 51, had put the fire out by the time a deputy arrived, along with the Winger Fire Department and Essentia Ambulance.