Don Cavalier, Sharon Lewis running for seat held by Dennis Regan
With the closing of the filing window approaching on Tuesday, Aug. 14, candidates continue to file for local offices up for election this November.
Thursday, Don Cavalier and Sharon Lewis each filed their candidacy for the Ward 4 Crookston City Council seat currently held by Dennis Regan, who has yet to file for another term.
Cavalier is currently chair of the Crookston Park Board. On her Facebook page, Lewis indicates she’s a clerk at Tri-County Community Corrections in Crookston.
No new candidates on Thursday filed for the three Crookston School Board seats up for election this year, according to School District Office Manager Marilyn Wahouske.
Here’s where things stand candidate-wise as of press time Friday:
• In Ward 2, incumbent Steve Erickson has filed for another term.
• In Ward 4, Don Cavalier and Sharon Lewis have filed, and incumbent Dennis Regan has yet to file for re-election.
• In Ward 6, Cindy Gjerswold has filed, while incumbent Tom Vedbraaten has yet to file for another term. Gjerswold ran for an at large seat on the council in 2016 as well.
• In the at-large seat up for election in November, incumbent Bob Quanrud is not seeking another term. Kelly Shea is running for the seat.
• For mayor, current Mayor Wayne Melbye is not running. Seeking to succeed him are current council members Clayton Briggs, in Ward 3, and Dale Stainbrook, in Ward 5. Neither council seat is up for election this November. If one of them is elected mayor, the council in early 2019 would have to appoint someone to fill the council term of the new mayor. If either of them is not elected mayor, they would be able to return to their council seat.
As for the school board, all three board members currently holding the seats up for election this year have filed for re-election. They are Tim Dufault, Adrianne Winger and Patty Dillabough.
Katya Zepeda has also filed her candidacy for school board, along with Jim McBride. McBride ran in 2016 as well.
The top three vote-getters on election day in November will be elected to the board.
The candidate filing window for city council, mayor and school board closes at the end of the business day on Aug. 14. File at city hall or at the school district office at Crookston High School.