Gjerswold running in Ward 6, Zepeda and incumbent Winger file for school board
The candidate pool in the 2018 election for both the Crookston City Council and Crookston School Board continues to get deeper.
The latest to file for city council is Cindy Gjerswold, who on Wednesday filed her candidacy for the Ward 6 seat currently held by Tom Vedbraaten. In the 2016 election, Gjerswold ran for the at-large council seat up for election that year that Bobby Baird ultimately won.
In the 2018 City election, as of press time Thursday, here’s how thing stand:
• For mayor, current Mayor Wayne Melbye is not running. Seeking to succeed him are current council members Clayton Briggs, in Ward 3, and Dale Stainbrook, in Ward 5. Neither council seat is up for election this November. If one of them is elected mayor, the council in early 2019 would have to appoint someone to fill the council term of the new mayor. If either of them is not elected mayor, they would be able to return to their council seat.
• In Ward 2, incumbent Steve Erickson has filed for another term.
• In Ward 4, incumbent Dennis Regan has yet to file for re-election.
• In Ward 6, along with Gjerswold’s filing, incumbent Vedbraaten has yet to file for another term.
• In the at-large seat up for election in November, incumbent Bob Quanrud is not seeking another term. Kelly Shea is running for the seat.
As for the school board, the last of the three incumbents up for election in November, Adrianne Winger, on Wednesday filed for another term. She joins incumbents Tim Dufault and Patty Dillabough, both of whom previously filed their candidacies.
Also on Wednesday, Katya Zepeda filed her candidacy for school board. She joins Jim McBride, who previously filed. He ran unsuccessfully for school board in the 2016 election as well.
The top three vote-getters on election day in November will be elected to the board.
The candidate filing window for city council, mayor and school board closes at the end of the business day on Aug. 14. File at city hall or at the school district office at Crookston High School.