95% of respondents rate it good, very good or excellent
The Crookston Ox Cart Days are well on their way for planning the 2018 festival while operating under the Crookston Aquatic Boosters 501c3 nonprofit and have already secured a handful of events. Their committee met for two hours Tuesday to discuss everything from the preliminary schedule, which includes returning favorites like Little Miss/Junior Miss Crookston, Ice Cream Social, Veterans Ceremony, Medallion Hunt, Corn and Brat Feed, Kid’s Tractor Pull, Dodgeball, Bounce Houses, Lip Sync Contest, Ribfest, Miss Crookston, Miss Tootsie, Craft & Vendor Show, Build a Buddy, Duck Drop, Parade, Street Dance, Pickle Ball Tournament, Sunday at the Splash Park/Highland Complex, and more, plus theme ideas, new (and resurrected) events, and over 200 survey results giving feedback on this past August’s event.
New and resurrected event ideas included a stunt show, record-setting painting party, early-bird business sales, rubber bracelets for kids at the bounce houses, bar crawl, comedy night, new music for Saturday day and night, numbered button prize drawings, an animal act, and more.
Over 200 people filled out an Ox Cart Days 2017 survey giving feedback on this summer’s event and, overall, 95 percent of festival-goers rated the five-day event as “Good” (10%) to “Very Good” (33%) to “Excellent” (52%.) Responses to questions asked are listed below.
What did you like about the event?
• The variety of events. The location. The entertainment was awesome not your usual small town music entertainment.
• The Miss Tootsie pageant was my fave. Enjoyed the water wars and lot to the activities.
• Live music, parade, community involvement/business involvement and sponsorships.
• Best year. Organized very well. Lots of events! Thank you!!
• The amount of events, seemed like something for everyone. Loved the schedule, having things on Sunday really made it a hit.
What did you dislike about the event?
• No complaints.
• I wish the fireworks would still be on Sunday. There is too much happening for them to be on Saturday. Between the parade and everything else. Sunday night would be more beneficial.
• Not many food vendors, didn’t know that you could purchase ducks for the duck races, buttons were easily lost or broke by kids. So maybe a different thing instead of buttons.
• Do miss the Friday bar crawl, but heard Ms. Tootsie was amazing so understand it not being available.
• Bees and garbage so close to sitting areas.
Was the event length too long too short or about right?
• 1% - Much too long
• 9% - Too long
• 87% - About right
• 1% - Too short
• 0% - Much too short
What event would you like to see return?
• Pig Races - 49%
• Bouncy Houses - 45%
• Street Dance - 68%
• Vendor Fair - 62%
Is there anything else you’d like to share about the event?
• Should be free to get into the events in the park. And location of the fireworks.
• Just keep it going.
• Thank you for all the hard work, time and extreme dedication!
• Ox Cart Days has not ‘run its course.’ It’s a Crookston tradition and it would be extremely saddening to see it go away. That cannot happen. I grew up enjoying Ox Cart Days and now live out of town, but I make sure to come back for it so that my kids can have the same type of experience I did - and they loved it again this year. It brings the town and families together, which is something the town needs once in a while.
• I think the parade could use some of out town bands, bag pipers, shriners. I think Nell and her core team did an outstanding job. It has been years since Crookston has had a crowd this big for this event and I don’t believe it should go back into the hands of the Chamber.
• I would love to see the return of Battle of the Bands. And keep the Lip Sync contest. I loved that it was a community effort and it should stay that way.
• This was the best Ox Cart Days that I can remember. Thank you for all your hard work on making it fantastic!