In 1950, the Sherack Farmers Union Oil Cooperative was formed for the purpose of providing fuel to local patrons of the Angus, Euclid, Sherack and Tabor areas.

    In 1950, the Sherack Farmers Union Oil Cooperative was formed for the purpose of providing fuel to local patrons of the Angus, Euclid, Sherack and Tabor areas.  

    Later, the oil company, (a Cenex Cooperative) also supplied famers with anhydrous ammonia fertilizer.  At its peak, the oil company had approximately 200 patrons.                   Merle Stinar, current board secretary of the Sherack Farmers Union Oil Cooperative stated, “It was a small, but prosperous business…a one person operation, which proved to be profitable because of its loyal and trustworthy patrons.”   

    Over the years as farming and agricultural practices changed, so did the need for goods and services of the Sherack Farmers Oil Cooperative…resulting in the dissolving of the oil company.  

    The Board of Directors decided that after all of the patrons received their dividends, the remaining funds would be equally distributed to three of the area elder care facilities:  Villa St. Vincent of Crookston, Good Samaritan Care Center of Warren and Good Samaritan Housing of East Grand Forks.  

    Mr. Stinar noted, “The founding patrons have been well served by these three facilities over the years so this is our way of giving back.  Call it a tribute to our patrons.”  

    Villa St. Vincent/The SUMMIT appreciates the current Sherack Farmers Union Oil Company’s Board member’s thoughtful and generous donation.  A big thank you to the board members; Dennis Garry of Euclid, Dale Pulkrabeck of Angus, Richard Stengl of Tabor and Merle Stinar of rural Warren.