It's not known at this time how he apparently died in his driveway.

A rural Polk County man reportedly died Monday afternoon in the driveway of his residence near Tabor, around 30 miles northeast of Crookston.

The Times knows the identity of the individual, but his name has not been publicly released by law enforcement. The incident occurred near the intersection of 160th Street NW and 410th Avenue NW.

The hours-long incident reportedly began around mid-morning Monday when, according to communications picked up via scanner, a rural mail carrier went to the residence and shots were fired from the residence. It’s believed the mail carrier’s vehicle was hit by gunfire. The mail carrier called 911 and the first law enforcement officer to arrive on the scene reportedly came under fire as well. It was subsequently reported that the suspect had a rifle with a scope.

At that point, law enforcement agencies from across the region responded. In addition to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, Crookston Police Department and Minnesota State Patrol, officers from the U.S. Border Patrol, the Thief River Falls Police Department and as far away as Bemidji converged on the scene as a plan of action was formulated and a wide perimeter was established around the residence. The Grand Forks Police Department responded with an armored vehicle as well as a large “special operations” truck.

According to scanner traffic, officers were able to communicate with the suspect’s spouse, who was not at the residence. According to scanner communications, she told officers that her husband was possibly suffering from some early symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, and that he also had other firearms in the house. She also said she was willing to try to call him on the phone and talk him into surrendering.

According to scanner communications, from approximately 11:20 a.m. to 11:50 a.m., officers reported being fired upon on three separate occasions. One officer reported that his vehicle was struck. Subsequent communication indicated that a law enforcement officer had at one point returned fire.

Things quieted down for a bit as officers got situated at certain points surrounding the property. But then, shortly before 2 p.m., according to scanner communications, it was reported that the man was “down” in his driveway and was unresponsive. It is not known at this time how the man died. 

Law enforcement officers as of late Monday afternoon were maintaining a perimeter around the property, as the massive law enforcement presence on and near the property gradually dwindled. No law enforcement officers were commenting publicly as of the writing of this story.

Late in the afternoon, Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigators were being picked up at the Warren Airport and driven to the scene.