GateHouse Media partners with Amazon to bring the latest news from the Times to your Amazon devices.
Do you own an Amazon Echo, Dot, Fire TV or Fire TV Stick with Alexa voice control? If you do, you can now access top news stories from the Crookston Daily Times on those devices.
Times’ owner Gatehouse Media, has partnered with Amazon to provide local news briefings via their fast-growing Echo/Dot devices and the Alexa app, now in use in millions of homes across the country. Echo and Fire TV owners can search in their Alexa app and add the Times’ website news to their daily flash briefing to be read in a text-to-speech process by Alexa.
In the first phase of the partnership, the briefing is created by automated feeds from the top news sections of the sites. Future phases in 2017 will give newsrooms the option to target specific content to the briefing or to create audio files - with local newsroom voices - instead of using Alexa’s voice.
To add the Crookston Daily Times to your Amazon devices flash briefing or news:
• Download the Alexa app to your smartphone or tablet, or access your Amazon device settings on your desktop
• Go to Settings, then under Account select ‘Flash Briefing’
• Select ‘Get more Flash Briefing content’
• In the search bar on top, simply type in “Crookston” and the Crookston Times Gatehouse Media option will pop up
• Click on the Crookston Times option and select ‘Enable Skill’
• Once it is enabled, simply ask, “Alexa, what’s my flash briefing” or “Alexa, what’s in the news?” (If you are accessing Alexa on your Fire Stick or Fire TV, you may have to hold down the voice control button)
AMAZON ALEXA PRODUCTS
The Amazon Echo and Dot lets you play music, listen to the news, answer questions, read audiobooks, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and schedules, and more using just your voice. You can also control lights, switches and thermostats in your home, order a pizza from Domino’s or even order an Uber taxi where available.
The Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote lets you enjoy over 7,000 apps, games and skills including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, YouTube, Amazon Video, NBC, WatchESPN, Disney and more. Launch and control content with the included Alexa Voice Remote by simplying saying things like, “Play Game of Thrones” or “Launch Netflix.” You can plug a Fire TV Stick into any TV’s HDMI port, connect to Wi-Fi and continue watching where you left off.