|
|
Crookston Times - Crookston, MN
  • Federal trial for Montevideo explosives suspect, Rogers, delayed

  • The federal trial of a Montevideo man who FBI agents said wanted to cut off connections to his hometown has been postponed.
    • email print
      Comment
  • The federal trial of a Montevideo man who FBI agents said wanted to cut off connections to his hometown has been postponed.
    The trail of Buford “Bucky” Rogers had been scheduled for Monday, but a federal court official in Minneapolis said it now is to begin Oct. 2.
    Rogers, 24, originally was accused of a terroristic plot, but he never was charged with terrorism. Instead, a federal grand jury indicted him on charges of a felon possessing a firearm and three counts of possession unregistered destructive devices.
    At a court hearing, an FBI agent testified that a friend of Rogers told agents that Rogers had cheered the April Boston Marathon bombing and that the Montevideo man was days away from carrying out several bombings.
    Evidence the FBI discussed in the hearing suggested Rogers planned to bomb communications towers and other Montevideo-area infrastructure.
    About 50 law enforcement officers, including an FBI SWAT team, raided the Rogers home in May.
    The FBI reported that agents found Molotov cocktails, “black powder nail devices” and a pipe bomb at his family’s mobile home and a nearby shed.

        calendar