Authorities say he assaulted ex in Red Lake Falls, then killed himself.

A Crookston native, Kevin Salveson, 53, is dead following a Saturday night incident in Red Lake Falls.

According to a Red Lake County Sheriff's Office press release, deputies were called to investigate a report of a domestic assault. The victim, Heather Altendorf, 37 of Red Lake Falls, called 911 from a neighbor's house to report the incident. She told deputies that Salveson, also of Red Lake Falls, forced his way into her home, assaulted her with a firearm and attempted to shoot her, but she was able to escape. When deputies went to Altendorf's home to investigate, they found Salveson deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gun shot wound.

Altendorf was transported to the emergency room at Sanford Hospital in Thief River Falls and admitted overnight for observation of injuries she sustained from being struck in the face with the stock of the .308 caliber rifle Salveson had on him. She was released on Sunday.

The two had been in a relationship, previously living together for a period of time, but had not been seriously involved for the past year or so, the release said. Earlier last week, the court had issued a harassment/restraining order against Salveson, which prohibited him from having any sort of contact with Altendorf. 

The investigation revealed that Salveson went to Altendorf's residence with the intent to kill her and then kill himself. He had been staying with friends in Red Lake Falls about three blocks from Altendorf's house and walked to her residence, openly carrying the high-powered rifle the whole way there. Altendorf was able to fight off the attack and flee her residence and Salveson ended his life before anyone else was injured or killed. It also appeared that Salveson had fired the .308 caliber rifle inside his residence before walking over to confront Altendorf.

Salveson's body was taken to the University of North Dakota's Forensic Pathology Department in Grand Forks for an autopsy, for which the final reports will not be available for some time. The case is still under investigation by the Red Lake County Sheriff's Office and the Red Lake County Medical Examiner's Office.