Voting so close, there were three ties.
One of Crookston's annual rites of fall, United Way's Soup and Chili Cook Off and Chocolate Extravaganza, took place Tuesday, Oct. 2 in the Crookston High School commons. Nearly 400 diners sampled the offerings of six soup entrants, 11 chili contestants – plus one exhibition entry, and six chocolate delicacies, voting for their favorites.
This year's judging had an educational theme, with U of M, Crookston Chancellor Fred Wood, Crookston Schools Superintendent Chris Bates and Highland Elementary Principal LeLa Olson, all new to the community this fall, doing the honors.
And the winners are:
1) Best Soup – "Comforting Corn Chowder Soup," RiverView Adult Day Services
2) Runner Up – "Richie's Rich Broccoli Cheese Soup," Bremer Bank
1) Best Soup (traveling trophy plaque) – "UMC Mosquito Stew," UMC/Sodexo Dining Services
1) Amateur – Bremer Bank
2) Professional – UMC/Sodexo Dining Services
Amateur Division Best Chocolate – "Nut Goodie Bars," American Federal Bank
1) Best Chili – "Big Red's Chili," Country Market of Crookston
2) Runner Up – "Habanero Hot Flash Chili," American Federal Bank
1) Best Chili (traveling trophy plaque) – TIE "Texas Red Chili" from Drafts Sports Bar and Grill and "Taco Chili" from Happy Joe's
1) Amateur – Country Market
2) Professional – TIE, same entries
SHOWMANSHIP (theme, costume, table set-up, action and audience appeal)
Best Overall Showmanship – TIE: Our Savior's Lutheran School with "Pirates of the Chilibean Chili" and Villa St. Vincent/SUMMIT with "Heaven" Chocolates